Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How to Control Your Own Success


 [I meant to post this yesterday but my internet is not working right so I couldn't publish it, so consider this yesterdays post! :)    ]
------------------------------------- 
Hi All!!

I was thinking to myself today after completing a very important final exam.  I studied my butt off for it..of course I could have studied much much harder and for days on end to guarantee that I would ace it, however I did not.  I studied hard, yet I still managed to maintain my sanity.  
So come on, who doesn't love acing a test?  It gives you a great sense of accomplishment and pride and a 'nice standing' amongst others that you may have scored higher than.  I did not ace this test, and this is a-okay with me. I am not salty about it, nor am I trying to make myself feel better about it.  Typically in this class I start studying for the test too soon to the day of the exam, I spend countless hours trying to cram in all the information at the last minute, and then I end up staying up till 3am studying for it the night before and wake up at 7 am to resume last minute studying.  This is probably the worst way to go about studying for an exam.  Your brain and your body are fighting each other and I know first hand that it typically plays out in your performance. 
This is all besides the point though,  today as I was walking down to campus I thought about how I did on that test and I was happy.  Yes, maybe my grade wasn't the highest in the class, and frankly, who cares?  I my pride comes from that fact that I studied much further in advance for this test, I went to bed at a decent time without worrying about how much information I still needed to know, and I woke up in the morning, refreshed and ready to take on the test.  I am satisfied with my grade because to me, it is a reflection of my personal growth.  My main objective on this test was to score a higher grade than my last test in this class, and I did!  This, to me, is much more important that trying to be 'the smartest person in the class,' my goal to outscore my self is just another step taken in overcoming myself. 
Don't compare yourself to others, you are your own determinant of your success.  Do you want to continuously compare yourself to others?  Not everyone has the same goals; your goals will vary greatly in how much value is placed on them compared to the person next to you. If one 'bad thing' happens such as not receiving the test grade you tried so hard for, or if you worked your butt off only to fall short of your target; do not become discouraged or take it out on yourself.  One of my favorite quotes helps me to explain my point-----

"There is no such thing as failure, there is only success and quitting, and I'm not a quitter."

 This quote is fantastic, however, it really makes you think.  This is how I think about it, and I hope you can do the same.  There really is no such thing as failure, failure does not exist.  Before I give you the 'official' definition of failure, let me tell you what I think "failure" is.  The WORD 'failure' is a negative title/description given to the inability to achieve a desired outcome.  Now, the actual definition of failure that is given on the internet from thefreedictionary.com:

Failure:
1. The condition or fact of not achieving the desired end or ends: the failure of an experiment.
2. One that fails: a failure at one's career.
3. The condition or fact of being insufficient or falling short: a crop failure.
4. A cessation of proper functioning or performance: a power failure.
5. Nonperformance of what is requested or expected; omission: failure to report a change of address.
6. The act or fact of failing to pass a course, test, or assignment.
7. A decline in strength or effectiveness.
8. The act or fact of becoming bankrupt or insolvent.

UMM, okay, **cough*pessimist!!*cough**

So apparentlyyyyy, failure results because you fail at your career, you fall short, your ineffective, you lack strength, you can't achieve success in school/work/money/life, and because you lack power.  

I want to explain to you how this is completely inaccurate, from an optimistic standpoint!  I believe that failure does not exist.  As the quote states, there is success, and there is quitting.  No matter how hard you attempted to make the team, or get a grade, or whatever the case may be, if you NEVER gave up on trying the entire time, you NEVER quit giving your every effort.  This in itself is --PURE SUCCESS!!--  Now, if you just sell yourself short and just give up and don't make your goal, you did not fail, you just quit trying.  I had this discussion with someone awhile ago and explained what this quote means and how failure really doesn't exist, which he believed opposite.  He brought up a scenario-- "What about a football player that practices and practices to try and make it to the NFL but doesn't make it?" EASY answer!--- did he ever quit trying? NO! He may not have made it to the NFL but he still never gave up.  Although the individual did not meet his final goal, he kept trying and practicing to achieve the success he wished to achieve.  In my opinion, you are successful until you quit.   My response to this individual about his NFL scenario was that, earlier that day I had a lab practical that I practiced and practiced and studied my brains out for, and what did I end up getting on it?  I got a 17.5/20, (lowest possible before a retake is necessary is a 16/20).  I explained to  him that although I didn't get a 19/20 on it like I would have loved for the amount of studying I put in, I was still happy with my grade, I achieved my own personal success because I could have given up and quit studying many times, but I didn't.   I studied up until the minute I walked into the practical examination room and went in there and performed the best that I could. ---- This is what fuels me and motivates me to accomplish my goals.  I NEVER give up, no matter how many demands are placed on me or no matter how difficult the task.

Another point this individual made me realize is when I was asked, "Do you like to win? Or do you just not like to lose?"  I had to think about it, and I realized that I really just don't like to lose.  Winning, is very similar to placing the highest in the class on a test, you are only first, but what more than that have you really truly accomplished on the inside?  
I don't know for certain; however, I believe that to those who constantly win, the sense of accomplishment isn't as great for those who don't always come in first, but refuse to finish last. 

I will leave you on that note for the night, think hard about it and examine your own self, where do you fall, what do you believe to be true about these quotes? I'd love to hear your input and how it applies to your life!!


G'night world, sleep tight! <3



With Much Gratitude---
KC<3


No comments:

Post a Comment